Want to Make an Impact on Children and Animals in our Community?
The Ottawa Humane Society is Recruiting Humane Educators
Volunteers of the Ottawa Humane Society have been visiting schools in the Ottawa area since 1990, teaching children in our community about responsible pet ownership, dog-bite prevention, and the role of the OHS within our neighbourhoods. Important animal welfare topics are presented Monday to Friday from October to June.
A two-member team of humane education volunteers delivers a one-hour, scripted presentation that includes a short video. In addition, a temperament-tested dog is introduced in a supervised session with the children, allowing them to practice the correct way to greet a dog that they’ve never met before.
Volunteers are responsible for either facilitating the presentation as a Presenter, or facilitating a visit with a temperament-tested companion animal as a Handler. Presentations are delivered in French and English, and offer valuable lessons to the future generation.
We need your help!
Because schools in our community see the value and importance of education surrounding the topics of animal welfare and the humane treatment of animals, the Humane Education programming that the OHS offers is popular with schools across Ottawa. The OHS is looking to recruit volunteers who are passionate about creating a more humane future for animals.
May I use my pet in this program?
• For the handler role, we are ONLY looking for handlers with their own canine companions. Dogs must be friendly towards all people and children, be a minimum of 2 years of age and successfully pass a temperament assessment here at the OHS.
Humane Education School Program volunteer requirements:
• Comfortable handling companion animals (dogs, cats, and small animals)
• Experience working with children and/or youth
• Able to speak in front of child and/or youth audiences
• Knowledgeable and comfortable discussing issues related to animal care and welfare
• Access to a vehicle
• Able to make a commitment for at least one school year, to one, three-hour biweekly shift
If you are interested, please check our website for more information:
Or complete an application: